Author Topic: From the Ground Up  (Read 290 times)

Description: A truly interactive tale!

Offline Saint

From the Ground Up
« on: July 03, 2019, 09:39:49 AM »
I thought I'd try a little experiment and see how far it goes.  I can't type much as I'm at work, but that's the beauty of this idea: For now, I don't need to.

I'm going to be writing an interactive story, and it will be interactive from the ground up.  What does that mean?  It means I'm starting with nothing.  What I want you guys to do is give me an element (or two or three) to incorporate in the story.  I'll try (where feasible) to use every element provided to get my first chapter up.

Elements can be things like characters, scenarios, themes, challenges, oh why am I explaining it to you, you're writers, you get it, right?

Try and keep it on the vaguer side so I can incorporate them together easier.  For example, "Character: a young boy on a journey" is much better than "You're Ash Ketchum from the town of palet, and you're ten years old and about to begin your pokemon journey with your trusty partner pikachu by your side, but when travelling through the Viridian forest, you're challenged by none other than Gary Oak, the grandson of Professor Oak, and your lifelong rival, who sends out his..."

:owlhr:

Chapter One - A Firm Grasp
Featuring: A one-legged woman, a lunar event, a long journey over water, an olden-style environment, and two different futuristic species

Coming soon:
Chapter Two
Featuring: Nothing... yet.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 10:41:46 AM by Saint »

:owlfly1:

Want to play DnD?  Check out: The Lost Treasure: A TC DnD Campaign
Don't want to play DnD? That's fine too, here's a short set in the world instead: A Tale of The Darkest Tome
How about helping me build a world From the Ground Up?

The following users thanked this post: New Overlord

Offline newchinaren

Re: From the Ground Up
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 09:30:40 PM »
A one legged woman.

A long journey over water (or under it).

A lunar event.

~throws down gauntlet~

~Picks up gauntlet 'cos it's one of a pair and was very expensive~
Stories on Tome:

Apocolypto
The Other One

My Books: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/chinaren

Coming Eventually: The next level:  The Opus Path

The following users thanked this post: Saint

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 01:52:18 PM »
Character development: two different futuristic species, who are related in some way.
Environment: oldern style.. (like horse and carriages for transport, instead of cars.)

Offline Saint

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 03:14:06 PM »
Christ this will certainly be a challenge.  Once I've written the first installment, what do people think about carrying on the interactivity of this story?  Should I go for a more traditional "Whatdjya do now then?" or shall I continue with the "Gimme a random thing to include" theme?  Poll is up to gauge interest.

Don't want to play DnD? That's fine too, here's a short set in the world instead: A Tale of The Darkest Tome

Offline Saint

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 11:03:15 PM »
Chapter One - A firm grasp.

There are a few towns along the dusty path that connects the North and South of Boltreach, and The Midfield was just barely one of them.  There was a splintered shack, a somewhat less splintered shack, and a post with a sign reading ‘TIE YUR HORS HERE’.  On this particular day, if you were to ride past and tie your horse to the pole, you’d be uncomfortable.  The heat of the sun would rip through your clothes, coating them with a thick and putrid layer of sweat.  If you were trying to avoid that and wearing thin fabric, the sand and the rocks would beat at you as harsh winds snapped them around.  The smells of horse shit and decay that met your nose would put you an unforgiving retch away from throwing up your lunch.  Even through a closed mouth, you’d taste the staleness of the air and the dust and sand would find a way in.

And the sound…  Fillibur West jumped off his horse, and atop all of those sensations, was most repulsed by the sounds that came from the shack that still had a door.  There was screaming and crying, moaning and panting, and the most horrid blasphemy he’d ever heard a woman roaring.

“Is this the abode of Master Bryar Willis?”

“I’m busy, fuck off!”

“You are summoned, Sir, and I’m not to le-”

“I’M BUSY FUCK OFF!” he bellowed back, as the woman let out a gut-wrenching scream that could only come from pain or orgasm.  Fillibur was not interested in discovering which.

“By Order of the Third Court Church of the Father, I demand you come out here thi-”  The door burst open with so much force that it was a surprise to Fillibur that it was still attached.  Out strode a tall and fat man, naked as the day he was born but much more hairy.  His skin was pocked and scarred, his hands were stubby and filthy, and he glistened with more sweat than should really be possible.

“You leave those shitbags outta my life.  I left for a reason and ain’t no summoning gonna drag me back,” he spat.

“The Third Court Church?” cooed the woman from behind Bryar.  Fillibur prepared to shield his eyes, but thankfully she had the decency to cover up her shame.  Her frame was long and wiry, and her fiery red hair floated effortlessly down her back.  One hand was gripping an oversized shirt around her chest, and the other was propping her up against the wall.  She looked pale, far paler than anyone should be in this heat.  Fillibur had to look at her twice to make sure the heat and the stench weren’t frying his senses.  She had only one leg.

“Yes ma’am,” Fillibur confirmed,  “and whether he likes it or not, this fellow here has a debt to pay.”

“I ain’t payin’ no debt.  Get off my land.”  Bryar reached for the pistol at his waist and fumbled there for an uncomfortably long time until he realised there was nothing there.

“How much have you had to drink, Bryar?” asked Fillibur.

“Clearly more’n you,” he coughed out, and then chuckled to reveal a hefty few rotted and missing teeth.

“I’m under very strict orders, Master Bryar Willis, to bring you in,” and he brushed aside his duster to reveal hid own pistol.  “And I was warned you would likely resist.”

“I ain’t goi-” and then Bryar stopped very suddenly with a yelp as a long yet feminine hand grabbed his balls, and the shirt that it was previously holding swayed open.  Fillibur turned away.

“So you can look at this lump of trash but not me?  What are you, homo?”

“I am a man of light,” Fillibur objected.  “Of chastity and purity.  I will not disrespect a lady such.”

“Pfft.  Why do need him?  Why now?”

“That is not information for-”

“Oh suck it up you fucking prude or I’m grabbing your balls next.”  At this, Bryar started stammering and whimpering unintelligibly.

“Babe, babe, maybe loosen-ooooow!”

The whole time, as her grip got tighter, she stared straight at Fillibur, who couldn’t help himself but stare back.  She was cold and harsh, but even on one leg, she held her back straight and her head high, like she thought she was more than just a common whore.  Like she aspired to be great one day.  No, no, that wasn’t it.  Like she thought she had been great, and still deserved to be.  He never figured out why, but from that moment, he was suddenly addressing her, not the man he came here for.

The thirteenth moon is coming.  That’s why now.  God is going to test us all, and we need him.”

At this she let go of Bryar.

“Tell me, are those old bastards still cooped up on that island?”

Fillibur stepped back, forgetting completely about the threat to pull out his gun.  Who the hell was this random woman, and how did she know so much?  Why was she so confident?

“Yes.  I’ve come quite a distance for this man.”

“You sure you’re not a homo?”

“He will come,” said Fillibur, “And he will help.”

“I don’t wan-” started Byrar, before the woman slapped him, completely out of the blue, with enough force to knock him out of the doorframe completely, landing face first in the sand, and screaming out instantly as his front began to burn in the sand and he scrambled back, frantically scraping it off.

“Bryar darling put some clothes on.  We’re going with the man; I want to ride on one of those steamboats.

:owlhr:

“Is he the one?” hummed Elselon, his green skin shimmering and glistening in the light as he floated down the corridor.

“No brother.  But he is near the one,” responded Barlyr who floated alongside.

“Excellent, our plans move swiftly.  Will the one be here by the thirteenth moon?”

“Yes.”

“Excellent.  Ready the really big weapons.  The one will not go down easily.”

I'm waiting on the poll to decide how to make this interactive, so for now just throw out whatever you want, whether it's suggestions of where to go next or elements to include randomly.

Give me more randomness to include!  I will endeavour to use them all but may stash them in my back pocket to use in a later chapter if I feel they'll fit better there.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 10:36:39 AM by Saint »

Offline newchinaren

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 06:25:54 PM »
Enjoyed.

Out strode a tall and fat man, naked as the day he was born but much more hairy.
Lol

As well as a few more lines.  Keep it up.
Stories on Tome:

Apocolypto
The Other One

The following users thanked this post: Saint

Offline Saint

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 09:21:22 AM »
Alright the poll has come out in favour of adding random shit.  In that respect, in lieu of a traditional interactive segment, I will be asking for random elements to add to the next chapter, just like I did in the first.  I will always endeavour to use all elements, however to keep the story somewhat tangible, from this point forward I reserve the right to stick an element in my back pocket to use in a later chapter.  I will exercise this right sparingly, but for example if I'm in the desert and someone suggests a thunderstorm, I may hold off on that until it becomes more appropriate.

Offline Saint

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 04:03:34 PM »
Hitting a blank, someone throw random shit at me.

Offline newchinaren

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 02:41:40 PM »
A cardboard cutout, some eggs, and the name 'Tarquin'.

:)
Stories on Tome:

Apocolypto
The Other One