Author Topic: Apologies  (Read 452 times)

Description:

Offline newchinaren

Apologies
« on: June 01, 2019, 05:01:24 PM »
Hi there.

This is Chinaren.

I started TomeCity.com (Yars, I was also Overlord) some years ago, as some of you will remember.

Then, I guess about 2014 it disappeared.  Maybe the regulars would have guessed something was up, 'cos I also disappeared, probably a bit before it did. 

So first, I apologise for all the great stories that were lost with Tome.

You see, without going into specifics, I suffered not one, but a series of personal disasters in RL.  I mean, it was one life changing (and nearly life destroying) event after another.  Things went downhill for me, really really downhill.  I mean, it went from bad to worse to abysmal to cataclysmic...

Anyway, to cut a long and horrible story short, I hit rock bottom and stayed there for a while.

However, hopefully, I am slowly rising again.  Enough to finally log back on and think about writing once more.  I hope this will not be a transient thing, but there's always a chance.

I have had plans to bring Tome back, strangely enough it was one of the things that kept me going during the Dark Times.  Funny that.  I do have (an out of date) backup, but I can't get to my old files yet, probably not for some months at least. I do still own the TomeCity domain name, and a few others, but there are some admin and technical hurdles to overcome before I can, hopefully, get my hands back on them. 

And then I find this!  I'm not sure what to feel really.  Flattered for sure!  How did you manage to recover all the graphics?

Anyway, glad to see you all again.  Glad to be able to see you all again!

I'll be around. 

Stories on Tome:

Apocolypto
The Other One

My Books: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/chinaren

Coming Eventually: The next level:  The Opus Path

The following users thanked this post: New Overlord, Angel

Offline Saint

Re: Apologies
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 05:33:03 PM »
New Overlord will be in touch. We always anticipated this day but never expected it. Welcome back old chum, we kept The Writers Slump stocked, go grab a cold one.
:owlfly1:

Want to play DnD?  Check out: The Lost Treasure: A TC DnD Campaign
Don't want to play DnD? That's fine too, here's a short set in the world instead: A Tale of The Darkest Tome
How about helping me build a world From the Ground Up?

The following users thanked this post: New Overlord

Offline Angel

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 05:37:18 PM »
Well hi! Long time no see!

I'm sorry you've had a shitty few years CRen but I'm glad that things are at least somewhat looking up now. It's so good to see you again.

If memory serves, an old backup was lurking somewhere and with a bit of tlc and coding magic the new site was born. Or I could be talking bollocks. But it was something along those lines.

I hope you can find your writing spark again. That's certainly something I can empathise with.

Enter Helena's world of light.
 :onfire:

The following users thanked this post: New Overlord

Offline Saint

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 05:45:14 PM »
Waybackmachine, some custom images and coding, and a council of original Tomeians consulting one how best to revive the place. We tried so hard to grab the tc domain but had to settle for ntc instead.

Don't want to play DnD? That's fine too, here's a short set in the world instead: A Tale of The Darkest Tome

Offline Angel

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 05:52:13 PM »
Ah yes, that's what it was.

Enter Helena's world of light.
 :onfire:

Offline newchinaren

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 06:15:14 PM »
Waybackmachine, some custom images and coding, and a council of original Tomeians consulting one how best to revive the place. We tried so hard to grab the tc domain but had to settle for ntc instead.

Yah. Thanks to some money in paypal, autorenew at Godaddy and China missus I still own most of my domain names. 😊
Stories on Tome:

Apocolypto
The Other One

Offline Saint

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 06:45:39 PM »
If we'd realised you still had it we wouldn't have fought for it. GoDaddy were ready to sell it to us for a few hundred believe but we didn't have that lying around. If you go there now it looks like the real Tome City snapped it up. Seems to give '403 forbidden' now though...

Offline NicTei

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 06:52:25 PM »
Sorry to hear you've had a rough go of it, Cren (NewCren? Nren?), but it's good to see you around again! Definitely looking forward to whatever you may have to post.

:pumpkin:
:pumpkin:

Me Am Robot     |     Night Terrors     |     Sailing the Seven Skies     |     The Old Gods     |     Vagabond

Offline Saint

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 07:00:43 PM »
So who had RLemlins in the 'Reason Cren vanished' pool? My money was on the Chinese government finally catching you.

Offline newchinaren

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 07:21:34 PM »
If we'd realised you still had it we wouldn't have fought for it. GoDaddy were ready to sell it to us for a few hundred believe but we didn't have that lying around. If you go there now it looks like the real Tome City snapped it up. Seems to give '403 forbidden' now though...

WTF! Looks like you're right! That's bollox. I had that on auto renew,and money has gone out of paypal.
Problem is I can't currently log into godaddy. 😬
Stories on Tome:

Apocolypto
The Other One