Author Topic: The Lost Treasure: A Dungeons and Dragons style role play.  (Read 1025 times)

Description:

Offline Saint

The Lost Treasure: A Dungeons and Dragons style role play.
« on: July 18, 2018, 07:21:22 PM »
Current phase: Skill Challenge

Success count:

[  ][  ][ / ][  ][  ][  ][  ][  ]

Fail count:

[  ][ X ][  ]

Section 2: Skill Challenge

Posting rules: During this mode DM will judge success and move the story along.  You may only post if DM has replied to the previous post OR if the previous post is over eight hours old.  You may never post twice in a row. (Posting a second action after DM has replied is okay; you don't need to wait for an ally to post.)

If the story is in skill challenge mode, you will have a clear goal to accomplish.  I will keep track of this in this post.  The way this will work will be similar to role play mode, but your passage must describe an action you're doing to accomplish the goal using one of your skills.  You cannot use the same skill that you used in your last post.  At the end of the post, roll a single d20.  This number will be added to your stat for the particular skill you're using, and that will determine whether you push forward the success counter or the failure counter.  Success will see your party meet the goal and possibly obtain extra rewards.  Failure will see your party... well, fail.  There will be consequences.

Want to speed up the action?  Why not jump into the ntc discord? I'll be active there and summarise anything in a post when needed.
https://discord.gg/rDysmbA

Current players HP:

Vril, Kobold.  Adventurer.  HP 30/30
100%
Cody Treyr, Shapeshifter.  Adventurer.  HP 16/20
80%

:teabreak: Another role play? But didn't the last ones all fizzle out and die horribly? 

Well I'm getting into D&D and since I have no friends to play with, you're all going to have to play it with me.  Now actually playing D&D in this format will be hard, and my interest in the game has thus far landed me exactly one session as a player, so we'll be avoiding most of the hard and fast rules of D&D and instead playing, as the title suggests, a D&D-style role play.  I will act as DM, which basically means I'll be controlling the direction of the story, the NPCs, and the rules.

In order to play, you'll need three things: A character, a knowledge of how the Tome City dice function works, and your credit card details which can be PMed to me at any time so that I can collect a one time payment of $99.95 a creative mind.

You don't need to know how to play D&D in order to join in; as stated above I'll only be using very rough rules for this.

1) A Character.  Please see my other thread for explanations on your characters.  This will be where your character sheets will be kept, in a post which you must edit as I give you items and level ups.  I'll explain in better detail in there.

2) TC Dice function.  Dice are very prominent in D&D and they will also be so in this RP.  To roll a dice, type (without the space):

Code: [Select]
[ roll]1d6[/roll]
Where 1 is the number of dice to be rolled, and 6 is the number of sides to that dice.  For example rolling 2 20-sided dice would be:

Code: [Select]
[ roll]2d20[/roll]
I cannot stress enough that editing your post will nullify the dice roll function.

3) A creative mind.  This will be a merge of a Role Play and a D&D game, so although I'll be guiding the story, you'll be in full control of your character including how they act.

Okay now that's out of the way, lets get to how this will work.  In short, you guys will post what your character does, roll a dice, and then I'll tell you how successful that was, what came of it, and what happens next.  This will be split into three sections, Role Play, Skill Challenge, and Combat.  I'll out line how each section will work below.

Section 1: Role Play

Posting rules: During this mode DM will role play any NPCs your party has and anyone can post next.

This is the standard Tome City Role Play format we all know and love.  You post what you do, the story advances.  Child's play. 

Section 2: Skill Challenge

Posting rules: During this mode DM will judge success and move the story along.  You may only post if DM has replied to the previous post OR if the previous post is over eight hours old.  You may never post twice in a row. (Posting a second action after DM has replied is okay; you don't need to wait for an ally to post.)

If the story is in skill challenge mode, you will have a clear goal to accomplish.  I will keep track of this in this post.  The way this will work will be similar to role play mode, but your passage must describe an action you're doing to accomplish the goal using one of your skills.  You cannot use the same skill that you used in your last post.  At the end of the post, roll a single d20.  This number will be added to your stat for the particular skill you're using, and that will determine whether you push forward the success counter or the failure counter.  Success will see your party meet the goal and possibly obtain extra rewards.  Failure will see your party... well, fail.  There will be consequences.

Section 3: Combat

Posting Rules: During combat you make your action and the DM responds.  You cannot post unless it is in direct reply to the DM with one exception:  Some Special moves have the trait [Quick Combat].  To use these moves you MUST beat the DM to the reply; if DM has already replied and you want to use one of these, tough luck.  (Posting a second turn after the DM has replied is okay.  You don't need to wait for an ally to post.)

In combat, you will be fighting.  D&D combat is very complicated, especially in this format, so I'll be simplifying it as best I can.  You will take one action you can take on your turn, choose from the following: Heal, Fight, Special, Flee.  Your choice must be clearly noted at the top of your post.  Don't worry about keeping track of HP, that's DM's job and the current combat stats will be visible in the top post.

Heal:  You will heal yourself or one ally.  At the end of your post roll your character's heal dice and specify a target.

Fight:  You attack an enemy.  At the end of your post roll your character's attack dice and specify a target.

Special:  You have two special moves, which you will keep track of in your character sheet post.  You can use one of these as your turn, but you can only use each special move once per combat.  Once combat ends, all special moves will be replenished.

Flee:  If the fight is going badly, you can try to flee.  At the end of your post, roll your character's flee dice.  Flee conditions will be specified on your character sheet.  Successfully fleeing will end the combat encounter for all party members, but the DM will find a way to punish you, so use it sparingly.  Also important to note that any xp gained from the combat encounter is halved for the character who initiates the Flee action.

And that's about it for the rules so far.

tl;dr This game will be in one of three stages, which will be kept track of in the top post:

Role Play
Post whenever, do whatever.  Move the story forward.

Skill Challenge:
Post after DM replies or eight hours passes without reply.  Roll after your post to see if you were successful

Combat:
Post after DM replies.  Pick one of four actions and roll the corresponding dice on your character sheet.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:09:01 PM by Saint »

:owlfly1:

Want to play DnD?  Check out: The Lost Treasure: A TC DnD Campaign
Don't want to play DnD? That's fine too, here's a short set in the world instead: A Tale of The Darkest Tome
How about helping me build a world From the Ground Up?

Offline Saint

Re: The Lost Treasure: A Dungeons and Dragons style role play.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 10:27:02 PM »
The point of this campaign will be to recover "The Lost Treasure"  Your character will have their own reason to desire the treasure, a legendary gem of either unspeakable power or unimaginable wealth.  The gem is the stuff of folklore, every culture in this world knows of it, each telling different legends of where it may lie and what it may do.  You may pick any motivation that your character will want it.  For example, one town claims the gem can resurrect the dead, another claims it can turn lead to gold.  The stone's purpose is vague, but one thing has come to light recently.  A clue has surfaced after the death of an old and very powerful wizard named Deus.  A fabled collector of magical items, he bequeathed his entire collection to museums and universities all over the land.  His collection was grand enough that every known province got at least something.  The King of High Tome, the largest of the countries in this world, was to be given an object know only as "My Greastest Treasure" but when the executors of Deus's Will came to the treasure's resting place, they found it had been stolen.

The King has placed a reward on the treasure and spread the word far and wide.  He wants it found.

That's where you come in.  Make your character, figure out why they want the treasure, and wait for me to write part one.

Crowds of adventurers from all creeds gathered at the King’s Manor, The Celestial Hall, in much greater numbers than anyone could have anticipated.  The call for help had been issued, and with it was the instruction that all who gathered today would be given what little information that King Echelon the Wise had regarding Deus’s Greatest treasure.  Whether down to the desire to hold the Treasure for themselves, or to claim the bounty of enough gold pieces to sustain a family for three generations and a single favour from King Echelon himself, there were enough adventurers who showed up to render the grand meeting hall obsolete.

The grand meeting hall had been set up to accommodate five hundred, but the crowd of at least double that had been collected in the manor gardens instead, with still more spilling out into the streets of Sollierheim.

Irilan Toralex stared out at the crowd, and if she was daunted, it didn’t show.  She stood a little over three feet tall, but emitted a commanding presence that no-one dare underestimate her through.  She had violently red hair, a fair complexion, and nothing else much could be made of her appearance through the heavy plated armour she wore.  The armour itself was thoroughly battle-scarred, and she was rarely seen without it.  The other advisors to the king favoured robes and elegant diplomatic gowns, but they had never been able to sway her.

“Okay, quieten down,” she called out along the crowd.  The few in the front responded, but as the distance from her podium grew, so did the noise.  She signalled to a dragonborn guard near her, who smashed the flat of his axe against his shield until nought remained but whispers.

“I know you’re here for answers, and I’m sorry to say I don’t have many.  If we had very much information to give you, the bounty wouldn’t be nearly so high.  What we do know is that Deus left our king Echelon the Wise his greatest treasure, and upon arriving at Deus’s keep, the location our scouts were given was empty.  Our best trackers were unable to locate a trail, and so we have put out the bounty in order to keep the treasure out of the wrong hands.

“Anyone who returns the treasure to us will be rewarded.  Your families will be provided for and protected for three generations, and you yourself will be granted a personal favour within the power of Echelon’s majesty.  What’s more, during your search, at the very least while you are in High Tome, you will have the support of the High Tome Protectors.

“Does anyone have any questions?”
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:51:18 PM by Saint »

Don't want to play DnD? That's fine too, here's a short set in the world instead: A Tale of The Darkest Tome

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 09:01:48 PM »
   "Cody, what do you reckon?" Luna asked as she sat back on her hind legs.
   "I- I don't know. Do you think it's worth finding?" she asked.
   "Well if we do, we don't have to give it back to him," Luna offered. "The King, from what I've heard, isn't a very nice person."
   "Nobody is these days," Cody sighed.
   She then looked to her friend beside her, and swivelled the delicate ring on her right finger. They had only been listening in for only a few moments, before Luna had spoken, but she was already deciding whether it was worth staying.
   "I think we've heard enough," she thought aloud. "We don't want to risk being detected just yet."
   "You're right," Luna agreed.
   Luna stood up slowly, and slid her bag on her left arm as she prepared to leave. They had only just arrived the day before, but were already on edge.

They moved through the back of the crowd slowly, with Luna walking on all four paws and behind Cody to disguise herself in the shadow as much as she could. They had travelled across many towns and counties, but always had to move on after a short while. Hopefully this time they would be able to stay a little longer, if they were careful.

Offline Saint

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:38:31 PM »
Hopefully this time they would be able to stay a little longer, if they were careful.
Off-Topic: show
Okay you're begging me to throw you into a fight.

As you walk through the crowd, you feel someone try to pickpocket you.  It's obvious and deliberate, as if the thief has no skill.  As you check your pocket, however, you notice that nothing has been taken.  Instead, someone slipped something in.  You turn and check the crowd, but neither you nor Luna can make out the perpetrator.  What do you do?

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 12:49:33 AM »
Luna turns to look suspiciously at the slight bulge in Cody's pocket, and makes her feel unnerved as she continues to walk through the crowd. Still unable to make out an identifying feature that could help her, she rushes off to a lonely and dimly lit alley way.
"What do you think it is?" Luna asked her.
"I have no idea, but it's obvious that the person who dropped it in my pocket didn't want to be identified. Otherwise he wouldn't have hidden just after."
"Mm, I was wondering that myself," she pondered aloud.

Cody then checks that they won't be disturbed, and reaches inside her pocket once more, to retrieve the item and find out what exactly it was.

Offline Saint

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 08:49:10 PM »
She pulls out an object small enough to fit in the palm of the hand.  It's wrapped in paper, not very heavy, and roughly spherical.  As she peels back the paper, it is revealed to be what looks like a white crystal.  The item is definitely magical; if you want to find out its properties, in your next post make an arcana roll. (To make a skill roll, roll 1d20.  I'll add that to your stat and determine how successful it was.)  As Cody pulls the paper away and the item touches her skin, she can feel it vibrate in short pulses, roughly one every two seconds.  It only vibrates when touching skin.

Cody, what next?
Vril, introduce yourself to the story; are you at the gathering?  If not, where are you?  If so, do you ask any questions?

Offline NicTei

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »
Vril had listened impatiently as the King's advisor spoke, the presence of the dragonborn guard having already put him on edge; he had nearly nocked an arrow when the brute bashed his shield. When his contacts in High Tome had told him about this meeting, they had either conveniently left out the dragonborn or had simply forgotten. Anxiously rubbing one of the teeth on his necklace, he forced himself to calm down. So long as he was in High Tome, he could expect relatively civil treatment, even from the dragonborn.

Though the Halfling's speech was blessedly short, it also carried no new information for him. The King's men, it seemed, knew as little about the treasure as he did, and rumors about the King's reward for its retrieval had been circulating since the meeting was announced. Being here had been a waste of valuable time. He could have been searching already. Where, he did not know, but the treasure was certainly not in the King's Manor. If it was, there were more fools in High Tome than he thought.

As the Halfling opened the floor to questions, Vril made his way to the door, his size making it easy to slip between the gathered adventurers. He had a search to begin.
:pumpkin:

Me Am Robot     |     Night Terrors     |     Sailing the Seven Skies     |     The Old Gods     |     Vagabond

Offline Saint

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 04:19:15 PM »
As Vril makes his way out of the crowd, a tall man in a cloak walks calmly past.  His cloak is a deep blue, covering almost all of his body.  In his hand is a spherical package, wrapped in brown paper.  Vril can't make out any features of the man aside from a blue scaled snout poking out from the front of the hood.  His head turns to Vril almost indistinguishably, but thanks to Vril's hypervigilance when it comes to dragonborn, you notice.

This roll will be his Stealth (10+1d20) against your passive perception (20).

Rolled 1d20 : 17, total 17

Offline Saint

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 04:21:11 PM »
Your pocket gets heavier as he walks past.  Vril turns but the dragonborn has blended in with the crowd already.

What do you do?  To identify the item it's the same as Cody's post above.  1d20 plus arcana.

Offline Saint

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 02:32:17 PM »
As Cody stares at the crystal, it begins to redden.  It grows, ever so slightly, and the vibrations get more intense.

Vril, your package begins to pull you through ther crowd. Nothing forceful, just as if someone was holding your hand.

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 07:55:59 PM »
Cody looks to Luna, hoping she can make sense of what she is currently holding, and sighs when she sees her friend shake her head.
Unsure of what to do, she places the crystal back in her pocket and continues walking down the alley.
"Where are we going?" Luna asked her.
"The library, I saw it as we arrived. I'm hoping they have a section on magical items, and help me understand what I was just given."
"That's not a bad call," Luna announced as they rounded another corner. "It was quite a large building, I'm sure they have something that you can read."

-

Cody enters the library, but leaves Luna to wait outside in the shadows. Instead of asking the librarian for help though, she inspects the inside of the building, wondering where to start looking. After a little time, she heads up the stairs and finds the section that she was hoping to find.
Whilst in the 'Magical' wing of the building, she picks up a book titled; 'Magical stones and you: A complete guide to understanding boring and interesting rocks.', and begins to research the crystal still weighing down in her pocket.

Rolled 1d20 : 17, total 17

Offline Saint

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 08:13:32 PM »
15 + 17 is 32, and I'll give you +5 for the book.  37.

Cody had a strong suspicion already what the stone might be, but her research confirmed it.  The stone is a Fractured Shard of Casting.  More specifically, it is the keystone for a Fractured Shard of Casting.  These are part of a ritual.  The book says that if each of the shards come into contact with the keystone, the keystone will release a pre-cast spell.  There is no way to tell what spell will be cast.  The purpose of these stones is to come together to cast the spell which they were programmed for.  According to the book, there can be anywhere between one and six shards per keystone.

The stones cannot themselves move, but can emit a mild psychic control over nearby lifeforms.  This psychic energy can't make them do anything against their will, but will control them using actions they would normally perform to bring the stones together, for example, passing the stone to another person, or walking towards another stone.

As you finish reading, you notice Luna has come inside, and she taps you on the shoulder.

"Incoming."

A young elf turns the corner and faces you, a small stone in hand.  He seems to recognise you, and walks towards you.

What do you do?  Any action you try to take that involves getting rid of the stone will fail because of the mild psychic control.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:47:19 AM by Saint »

Offline NicTei

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 06:23:31 AM »
Though Vril would like nothing more than to pursue the dragonborn, the pull of the stone piques his curiosity. As he moves in the direction it is guiding him, he inspects it.

Rolled 1d20 : 5, total 5

Me Am Robot     |     Night Terrors     |     Sailing the Seven Skies     |     The Old Gods     |     Vagabond

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 11:32:11 AM »
Cody quickly tries to hide the book that she picked up, by closing it and leaning in front of it. Luna then dashes across the table, and pulls it from underneath-all before anybody notices- and places paper and a pencil where it had been instead.
She was a very secretive person, and until she knew that the crystal and why it had been given to her, she had decided not to mention them to anybody.

Offline Saint

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 05:00:16 PM »
Vril, 15 + 5 gives you 20 on your roll.  You know that the stone is magical, but you cannot discern any properties.  You can tell that the stone is guiding you, and that it's completely voluntary to follow, but your mind is filled with curiosity, which although you suspect this is created by the stone, you cannot be sure.

Cody, the elf says nothing, and makes no threatening gestures that you should worry about.  He simply steps towards you and offers the stone.  The one in your pocket vibrates more intensely.  Do you take it?

Vril, your stone guides you away from the gathering and down the street a small ways.  You arrive at a large building with very old architecture.  It does not fit the more modern stone and wood build-style of the other buildings in the area.  A sign over the wooden archway advertises the building as the royal library.  The door is open.

(Vril doesn't know where the stone is leading him, but for the purpose of role play, Nic does.  The stone is leading you to Cody and the keystone.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:27:47 PM by Saint »

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 08:51:28 AM »
Cody looks quizzically at the stone being offered to her, but holds out her hand.

Offline Saint

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 11:36:13 PM »
Cody takes the stone and the elf leaves without a word.  Luna, sitting on an old and likely very valuable textbook to keep it out of sight, reaches into your pocket almost automatically and takes out the keystone.  Neither of you realise what's happening until the stones touch in your hands.  If you expect the vibrations to intensify, you're taken by surprise when by contrast, the keystone calms.

On contact, the smaller stone melds into the keystone.  Where before it was somewhat spherical in shape, it's now slightly larger and a much smoother cut.  It feels as if the smaller stone broke down and coated the keystone in a thin layer.

"Cool," says Luna.  Luna passes the book back out to you.  "It says this thing will cast a spell when it's whole.  Do you feel anything?"

You don't.  It's not ready yet, but you get the feeling there can't be many more shards left.

The stone vibrates once more, very faintly, as Vril steps into the library.

[To both of you, this is important to inform your decisions.  Remember to keep player and character knowledge seperate.  Vril doesn't have the same knowledge about the stone's purpose that Cody does, and Cody doesn't know Vril is bringing another shard into the library.]

Offline NicTei

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 03:01:24 AM »
Slipping through the door of the library, Vril does his best to move quietly and stick to what shadows he can find. He is unsure what the stone is guiding him towards, but he would rather the element of surprise was on his side, rather than another's.

(Rolling for stealth)
Rolled 1d20 : 11, total 11

Offline Saint

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 09:07:56 AM »
Stealth of 20 plus your roll gives you 31.  No-one sees you enter.  Vril follows the stone's pull, careful to avoid contact at all junctures.  He manages to find a path that takes him through the library to where the stone needs him to be.

Cody, Luna tells you she feels like someone may be watching her.  Roll your perception. (d20 plus perception.)

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 09:21:34 PM »
Cody felt a familiar chill run down her back, and sighed. She could tell somebody was hiding in the shadows, and could only wait until they showed themselves or disappeared.

Rolled 1d20 : 3, total 3
+15 (perception).