Author Topic: The Lost Treasure: Worldbuilding info and DM questions.  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Saint

• Citizen
  • Currently working on: We Came to Say Goodbye [WT]
    • View Profile
The Lost Treasure: Worldbuilding info and DM questions.
« on: July 19, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »
To go with the other thread, this is a place for various worldbuilding pieces, such as NPC profiles, locale information, and details on magical items the party may encounter.  You may also ask DM any questions here.  I will answer to the best of my ability, whether it be related to mechanics or story, but be aware that I may very well refuse to answer story questions, and instead point your character in the right direction in game.

Another important note is that articles in this thread will all be common knowledge.  That is to say, although it's not required for your characters to know this, it's very likely that they will.

[Questions asked will be placed here]

Character: Deus Stormheart
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 11:43:03 PM by Saint »
:owlfly1:

Want to play DnD?  Check out: The Lost Treasure: A TC DnD Campaign
Don't want to play DnD? That's fine too, here's a short set in the world instead: A Tale of The Darkest Tome
How about helping me build a world From the Ground Up?

Offline Saint

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Deus Stormheart
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 10:17:57 PM »
“It was both a grand and a terrible day when Deus Stormheart ascended the bonds of the natural plane to convene forever with the gods.  To say it was his time would be a gross inaccuracy, for a man like him should never be bound to such a trifling thing.  Deus had lived for many years, longer even than the high elves of the Wooden Tome Forests.  He had amassed many titles throughout his time on our realm, perhaps the most notable being “The Legendary Hero.”  Everyone in the Isle of the Seven Tomes owes at least part of their life to him in some form.”
-Excerpt from Deus Stormheart’s official eulogy.

For most of his life, Deus had been an adventurer, chasing fame and glory, and saving the Isles many times over.  During the latter years of his life, no-one heard very much from the legendary hero.  Across his adventures he amassed many items, from antiques to spellbooks to magical items, and these were all kept in his castle, just off the edge of High Tome.  After his death, he bequeathed his collection to universities and museums of the Isle of Seven Tomes.  Each item had been thoroughly researched and returned to the academia from which it originated.

One item, no matter how much he researched it, could not be sourced.  The object he referred to only as his “Greatest Treasure” was to be left to the King of High Tome.  Before it could be moved, the treasure was stolen.

Don't want to play DnD? That's fine too, here's a short set in the world instead: A Tale of The Darkest Tome

Offline Saint

• Citizen
    • View Profile
High Tome
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 12:03:48 AM »
The largest and most well-defended of the Seven Tomes, High Tome is essentially a continent-sized fortress.  Around the perimeter is a wall patrolled 24 hours a day by the High Tome Protectors.  The interior of the city is split into districts, some mainly populated by a single race, some of mixed personage.  The predominant race is Human.  This is a good place of origin for a character if you want to design an obscure race that wouldn’t be encompassed by the overarching races of the other Tomes.

Because of it’s diversity, many professions and origins can be had in High Tome, but by far the biggest employer is the High Tome Protectors.  A structured organisation answering to the king himself, the High Tome Protectors serve as a combination of army, guards, and police force.

The current king of High Tome, Echelon the Wise, has been in service for fourty years, residing not in a castle but among his people.  He lives in one of the mixed districts in the center of High Tome named Sollierheim, in a manor build by his grandfather, a previous king of High Tome.

Offline Saint

• Citizen
    • View Profile
The Isle of the Seven Tomes
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:00:37 PM »
The world in which you will be playing is one large island.  If you were to travel all the way to the edge of the water it would take you many years, and no-one has ever recorded anything beyond the waters.  Voyages have been sent out into the beyond, but none have ever reported any findings.  The island itself is incredibly sized, with seven main areas, each roughly the scope of a continent.  These areas are know as the Seven Tomes.  Between the Tomes are many smaller cities, usually referred to as provinces.  Some of these can be the size of countries, some small towns.

High Tome, the largest of the Tomes, is made up of many races, and acts as a cultural hub.

Red Tome, land of the dragonborn, is one of the more aggressive Tomes.  They are always expanding their borders, often trampling the provinces that occupy the land they need.

The Tome of Mystics is widely renowned as having some of the best and most prominent magical schools and universities, so is the home to sorcerers and mages of all shapes and sizes.  The magical prowess of this area is likely due to the influence of the Wooden Tome contained within, home to the elves of the Isle.

Great Tome is set upon holy ground, and is the place where the barrier between our world and the divine plain is the thinnest.  Because of this every major religion has a temple in the city.  The streets are always filled with pilgrims and worshippers, but the city has few inhabitants aside from the clerics of the temples and their staff.

The Darkest Tome is the smallest of all.  The only two known inhabitants are its twin rulers, but since they show up to every meeting required of them, their Tome’s status is never questioned by the other leaders.  No-one has ever stepped inside its walls, but rumours say the twins are practitioners of the most evil magic, and for a great cost, they will raise the dead in your name.

That's five.  Two Tomes I’ve deliberately left unexplained for two reasons.  One is in case a player pitches me a character whose race would warrant a whole Tome, two is in case I come up with a better idea for a Tome down the line.  Important to note that provinces far far outnumber the Tomes, and if you're looking to create a character's world and ideologies, I'd suggest creating a province.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk