Author Topic: The Diary of Emilia Anne Burrett  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Rabbit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
The Diary of Emilia Anne Burrett
« on: March 10, 2018, 11:46:23 PM »
This is the Journal of Emilia Anne Burrett
KEEP OUT!
That Means You, Gill!!

About Me
Name: Emilia Anne Burrett, aka Emmie
Birthday: 31st July 1966
Address: 64 Hawthorne Drive, Harrow
Family: Dad (Paul), Mum (Katharine), Sister (Gillian) - adopted
Pets: None. Dadís allergic.
Hobbies: Dancing, dancing, dancing!

Hi guys!

Here we have exclusive access to the top secret diary of Emmie Burrett. She's the main character in a story I'm working on right now and I'm trying to get inside her head so I decided to write her diary entries leading up to and after a defining point in her life.

It's been a long while since I've written a teenager and I've never really done a character's diary before, so it's kind of new and interesting to me in that way. I've also never written a 'period' piece before (this is set in 1981!) so there's another new challenge.

So let me know what you think and if you have any thoughts or feedback about Emmie as a person (since this is meant to be a character development exercise as well as a bit of fun).
 :read1:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:49:04 PM by Rabbit »
:owl:

:R.I.P:

Offline Rabbit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Thursday 1st January 1981
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 11:52:04 PM »
Thursday 1st January 1981

Happy New Year! Welcome to the world, Journal. I hope I fill you with things worth writing.

You were a Christmas present from Aunt Sue. I think mum told her what to get for me this year, since you were actually something I wanted/needed . I think last year she gave me a scarf. It was horrible! Orange and itchy. I wore it twice and both times my neck was all sore and itchy afterwards. I think I donated it to the costume box at dance class. Havenít seen anybody wearing it thoughÖ

Here is a list of things I had for Christmas, ranked (1 is best, lower is worse!):

• My own tape player for my room! Now I can practice dance at home because Miss Rogers lends out tapes of the music.
  • New dance shoes for the tap class Iím doing in February. Dad says if Iím going to practice that at home I have to do it in the garage.
  • New journal. Red leather cover, unlined pages (I like that better!) and a white ribbon to tie it closed with.
  • Jumper. Blue, nice and soft (definitely NOT itchy!)

And way, way down at number infinity:

∞          The stupid ugly mug with a giraffe on it that Gill probably pulled out of a rubbish bin somewhere. If she didnít, she definitely didnít spend more than 20p on it. And I got her this really pretty little compact mirror from Boots. It really isnít a fair exchange. I donít think Iíll try so hard next year.

Anyway, today was a long day. We spent the morning at Grandma and Grandadís and then we all went to Aunt Sueís for roast beef dinner. Uncle Rod drank too much sherry and fell asleep in the chair. Anyway, it turns out heíd fallen asleep on the TV remote so we were stuck watching some stupid cowboy movie until he woke up. Grandpa and I played checkers. I won twice and he won three times so I guess he beat me. Iíll get him next time though!

Gillian sulked all afternoon, but whatís new? She always has such a sour face, like sheís smelling bad milk all the time. I think sheís tired since she was out so late last night. She didnít come in until 4am - I know cos I heard the door bang. I heard Dad tell her to get her sorry arse to bed (he was waiting up for her) in that really quiet voice he uses when youíve done something really wrong, like when I broke Mumís china lamp trying to stand on my head. Mum didnít stay up to wait for Gill though. She didnít even stay up until midnight to watch the countdown on TV with me and Dad. She said she had a headache.

I wonder if she still feels poorly today? She was quiet at Aunt Sueís too and a bit pale.

Itís getting late now and my wrist is starting to ache. Good night, Journal!

Offline Rabbit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Friday 2nd January 1981
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:33:34 AM »
Friday 2nd January

Today wasÖ weird and creepy. I went over to  Iíll start at the beginning.

I think maybe Mum is still feeling a bit under the weather. I was playing my new tape player in my room, trying to work out a new bit for my Kate Bush routine and Gill just barged right in without even knocking! She turned off my radio (really hard. She could have broken it) and told me to keep it down because Mum needed some peace and quiet. Mum was having a lie-down in her room.

I told her if that she comes in my room without asking and touches my stuff again, Iíll tell Mum and Dad what she does with Geoff or Jeff, or whatever his stupid name is. Heís this guy who lives down the road and heís such a creep. I mean, I only saw them kissing one time at the bus stop but I bet thatís not all they do. Gill only ever goes over there when Mum and Dad are out. Well, Gill is 18 so I guess they canít really stop her doing anything but Iíve heard them say Jeoff is up to no good. Heís weird. His front garden is all overgrown and scruffy and he has such creepy-looking friends. He doesnít go out to work in the mornings like most of the dads on our road, and a lot of the mums too, like dressed in a smart suit or anything but he still has a better car than my Dad.

AnywayÖ Gill didnít like it when I said that. She crossed her arms and got all pouty and told me that Iím just stupid kid and I donít know anything. It got rid of her thoughÖ

I didnít want to disturb Mum so I changed back into my jeans and went over to Ellieís house on my bike. I havenít seen her at dancing since she broke her ankle and even though she doesnít need her crutches, Ellie says her doctor told her she shouldnít dance for like six months. Sheís all mopey about it and I guess itís bad because sheíll miss the tap classes. I know she was really looking forward to that. She said Miss Rogers asked her to still come to class so she doesnít feel so left out and maybe she can help with costumes or music or something, but Ellie says her Dad wonít let her because he wonít pay for lessons if she isnít actually doing any dancing.

Then Ellieís big brother Dan came and asked us to go up to the attic with him to look at something. He was being all weird and wouldnít tell us what heíd found but he made us promise not tell their mum. We went up there with him. Why are attics always super cold? There were no windows, it was lit by a lamp that was plugged on a long cable into the socket in the hallway downstairs. He took us right to the back behind these boxes of dusty old magazines and old suitcases and showed us a ouija board. That was why we werenít allowed to tell Mrs Denby - cos she goes to church every week and sheís always worried about Satan.

Dan started setting it up on the floor. He said we were going to talk to the ghost that lived in their attic. Ellie told him that it wasnít real, that it was just the water pipes, and Dan said heíd seen it - like a tall, misty figure with just a black hole for a face. He said heíd seen it standing outside Ellieís bedroom door one night. Ellie wanted to go back downstairs and Dan was calling her a big baby and a chicken so she punched him on the arm. ďWeíre not scared of anything,Ē she said. I said the same, especially not some stupid fake board.

Itís true! I wasnít. Gill once told me when I was little that if you didnít believe in ghosts then they would haunt you twice as bad but sheís always making things up to try and scare me, or trying to make me believe stupid things. I think Dan was being the same with Ellie.

(itís getting kind of late now. Iíll write the rest in the morning. Goodnight, Journal!)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:24:14 PM by Rabbit »

Offline Rabbit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Saturday 3rd January 1981
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 12:23:41 PM »
Saturday 3rd Jan

So we sat in a little circle around the oujia board and Dan put the pointer in the middle and we all put our fingers on it. Dan started asking if there was somebody with us who wanted to talk. Nothing happened at first but then the pointer said YES. I swear it wasnít me pushing it and I donít think it was Ellie because she looked way too scared. So it was probably Dan then. Next he asked the ghost what itís name was.

PIPES, it said which was pretty funny because of what Ellie said about[desc=GHOSTWATCH, anyone?] it being the water pipes[/desc].

We took it in turned asking ĎPipesí questions (even though I know it was really Dan). Ellie asked when she would go back to dancing. Pipes told her NEVER (which was really mean of Dan!). Ellie got upset and I tried to tell her that it wasnít real and it was just her brother but Dan kept denying it. I asked the next question and I asked it if Dan was a stupid fucker and I pushed the pointer to YES to make Ellie laugh. Dan laughed too and he asked ďBut will I be a rich stupid fucker?Ē

I definitely wasnít pushing it this time. I donít know about Dan because why would he say something like that about himself? Ellie wouldnít do it either because sheís too nice but we all had a finger on the pointer soÖ I donít know. Maybe it was real? But thatís stupid.

DEAD. That what it said to Danís question.

Thatís creepy right? I really donít think Dan did it because he went all pale and he was asking us if we did it. He wanted to stop and go downstairs but Ellie said we couldnít. Now it was here, we had to send it away or it would haunt us forever. I wasnít sure I believed it. It was dark and creepy in that attic and maybe that was making us more scared and one of us was pushing the pointer without realising?

Ellie said ďSpirit, thank you for answering our questions. We wish you all the best in your afterlife. Goodbye.Ē She was a bit calmer now and Dan was the scared one. And this was where things really got scary.

NO said Pipes. The pointer was moving faster and I really donít think any of us was pushing it!

EM ASK

Ask what? And then we realised that I hadnít asked a real question, Iíd just joked and pushed the pointer. Ellie and Dan looked at me all worried. Ellie said that I had to ask Pipes a question to end the seance and sent it away. So I just said the first thing that came into my head - ďTell me my future.Ē

The letters came so fast it was hard to keep up but Dan was writing them down on a piece of paper and he showed it to me after. When it was done, she quickly thanked Pipes and sent it away. This time the pointer came to rest on GOODBYE.

Dan put the board back in its box and pushed it behind a torn old duffel bag out of sight. We all hurried down to Ellie's room and sat on the bed. Ellie was trembling. Dan showed me the piece of paper. I'll stick in here;

WATER THEDEADBATH FOXHOMENEW BRINGSAWAYLIFE DEATHDROWNSANGEL BURIES

What does that even mean?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:25:12 PM by Rabbit »

Offline Rabbit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Tuesday 6th January 1981
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 09:27:54 PM »
Tuesday 6th

Weird. Iíve just looked back at the last entry with the Ďghostí in Ellie and Danís attic. Pipes. What a load of rubbish! I must have been tired when I wrote it because I donít remember it being that scary. Iím pretty sure the whole thing was just Dan trying to scare us. Maybe Ellie was in on it too. I donít know. Whatever.

School sucks. Lucy Oldfield is a massive bitch. I hoped maybe sheíd choke on a brussell sprout or something over Christmas but sadly not. Urgh! I NEVER DID ANYTHING TO HER!!! WHY DOES SHE HATE ME SO MUCH???

Yuck. Iím not going to waste any more ink on her.

On the plus side, I had my first dance class of 1981 today which was fun. Weíre doing the Spring Festival in eight weeks so she outlined her ideas for the group performances. There are only going to be two group and two solo performances this year so next week those of us who want to do a solo can audition the pieces weíve been working on over the Christmas break. The whole class can vote on the best ones but Miss Rogers will get final choice.

I already chose my piece weeks ago. Iíve been nearly perfected the routine (Fleetwood Mac - Donít Stop) and I think I stand a good chance. Thereís this ace bit where I do these two high kicks and then freeze when the music does. Thereís a black trilby hat in the costume box at class which I have my eye one. Mum found me some sparkly white material to tie around it and thereís this other bit where I kind of throw it to the other side of the stage and the dance over to it and pick it up again. I spent a lot of time on it. Ellie said it was good when I showed it to her just before Christmas. I hope the others like it. The group performance is always really good but Iíve never been picked to do a solo before. Miss Rog-

A little while later

Mumís acting strange. I just went downstairs cos I heard something break. She was in the kitchen making dinner and sheíd dropped the casserole dish on the floor. When she saw me, she called me Susan (Aunt Sue - mum always says how much I look like her) which was weird enough but then it was like she didnít remember where we were. I was about to ring for an ambulance when she kind of snapped out of it. ďWhatís all this mess?Ē she said, looking at the casserole on the floor. She said I looked like Iíd seen a ghost.

It was awful. I ran over and hugged her. I felt like a scared little kid. For a second there, it was like she wasnít Mum any more. She said she was okay now and that I shouldnít tell Dad cos heíd only worry.

I donít think she went to work today.

Offline Rabbit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Tuesday 13th January 1981
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 11:59:47 AM »
Tuesday 13th January

I GOT THE SOLO!!!!!!!!

I nearly screamed when Miss Rogers told me. I thought it was a joke at first. Miss Rogers is going to help me develop the piece a bit more and with costume and props and everything. Julie Fielding got the other solo but sheís going first so itís like sheís my warm-up act. Iíll also be in the Upper Class group performance which is like a rock and roll medley.

Sorry Iíve been neglecting you, Journal. Iíve been busy with school and rehearsing, plus Mumís been in bed the last two days. She went back to work a couple of days last week because the GP gave her some painkillers which helped. I think her headaches are back again and they brought friends.

The doctor said he thought it was migraines and that she should get some rest. I heard Mum and Dad talking about it last night. Mum says sheíll get over it and she doesnít want a fuss. Dad made her breakfast in bed this morning, which was really sweet, but she said she felt too poorly to eat more than a few bites. Dad says heís giving it another day or two and if she hasnít improved, heís taking her back to the doctor.

Iím worried about her. These migraines or whatever they are really seem to hurt. When I went in her room to show her the tickets for the Spring Festival,  it was really dark because sheíd closed the curtains. She said the light made it worse. She seemed really pleased when I told I was doing a solo piece. I think it cheered her up a bit. She put the tickets in her jewellery box for safekeeping and told me she hoped she was feeling better by then because sheíd hate to miss it.

Gill doesnít seem to care that Mum isnít well. She doesnít spend any time at home any more. When she isnít at work at the restaurant then sheís hangout out with that Jeff guy. I think she only comes back for clean underwear. I mean, I suppose we should get used to her not being around. All the universities sheís applied for are halfway across the country.

Even though sheís 18, sheís still a massive brat. Like this morning. She was throwing a hissy fit because she found her Adam and the Ants tape all chewed up on the kitchen table. She tried to blame me (like always - yawn!) but we both know that the tape player in Dadís car is the one that eats tapes, not mine. And she borrowed his car last night because she missed the bus to work. So she has nobody to blame but herself! I donít even like Adam and the Ants!

StillÖ I guess sheís cool sometimes. Like, she lets me copy any of her tapes that I do like. And sometimes she lets me borrow her tops or dresses (her jeans are too short for me!) and one time she helped me out by doing my makeup one of my dance performances.

But most of the time sheís just a huge bumhole. Like 97% of Gillian is bumhole. 3% is cool.

Offline Rabbit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Wednesday 14th January 1981
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 09:45:17 PM »
Wednesday 14th

Lucy Oldfield is the biggest , ugliest, stupidest skank-bitch in Harrow. In London. The country, the world, the whole universe.

And Ellie Denby is dead. I never want to speak to her ever again, never want to look at at that stupid spineless backstabbing traitor again in my entire life. She is dead to me.

Iím not crying, I swear. She isnít worth it. Neither of them are.

So basically, me and Ellie were sitting on the grass round the side of the science building at school. Technically weíre not supposed to go there because the yard monitor canít see you but me and Ellie go there so we can practice dance moves without any of the idiot zombies seeing - theyíre too vapid and uncultured to understand dance like that. Like, a lot of girls at school dance but they do it for fun, or to look sexy in front of boys.

Which is fine, they can do that but my dance isÖ Itís not about looking pretty or sexy. Itís about pushing my body. Itís freedom. Expression. Like Iíve never said this out loud to anyone because I know how pretentious it sounds but itís like art. Itís hard work but itís beautiful in its own way and when Iím dancing, I feel powerful. Like I can do anything.
But they donít get it. Which is fine. They donít have to. Iím not sure Iíd even want them to.

So anyway, I was showing Ellie these spins Iíve been doing. Remember, she hasnít been back to dance class since she broke her ankle. And then Lucy Oldfield and her cronies come around the corner, probably they got moved on from their usual smoking spot at the back of the gym, and they see us.

At first I didnít see them because I was dancing but then I saw Ellie go kind of stiff and uncomfortable. And Lucy starts taking the piss, saying how theyíve stumbled across the Harrow spastic ballet and its no wonder we hide away back here where nobody can see. Ellie stood up and got her bag to go and Lucy says she didnít realise they let fat girls be ballerinas. I thought Ellie was going to cry

And then Lucy gets right up close to my face - I could smell the pickle on her breath from lunch and I could have vommed on her - and says she heard my Mumís a druggie now too as well as my sister. I told her she was talking shit and she said everybody knows that Gillís boyfriend is a drug dealer. And as for my Mum, she said her dad works at the chemist and he knows the hardcore pills my Mumís taking.

Itís all bullshit. Gillís not a druggie and neither is Mum!

And then Ellie chips in. She tells Lucy and her loser friends what I said about the time Mum dropped the casserole, when she didnít know who I was. Lucy replied that sheíd pretend not to know who I was if she had to live with me and then theyíre all laughing. Ellie too.

Sorry, Iím not crying. My writing is getting all smudgy though. I canít believe what heinous, hateful bitches they all are.

I could have punched them all then. I want to. Even now, I imagine punching Lucyís straight white teeth in so theyíre all jagged and ugly like her personality.

Instead, I picked up my bag. I swung it so hard over my shoulder that it hit Ellie in the face and then I shoved Lucy hard enough that she fell over in the grass but she was laughing so much I donít think she really noticed. I ran all the way down into West Block and hid in the girlís toilets. I did cry a bit then. I thought for a while that theyíd follow and scrag me so I waited in the toilets until the end of lunch break but I didnít see them.

I canít believe Ellie did that though. How could she turn on me like that? I could have stood there and taken it, and Lucy would have gotten bored and gone away, if Ellie hadnít said what she said. Sheís supposed to be my friend but she joined in with them. Thatís what did it. I could have ignored it like always, except for that.

Dadís calling me down for dinner. Iím not really hungry.

Offline Rabbit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Wednesday 14th January 1981 (continued)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 07:34:35 PM »
14th Jan, continued

Oh my god.

Iím scared. Theyíve just gone in the ambulance, Mum and Dad. Iím supposed to wait here for Gill to get home from work and then weíll follow them to the hospital.

Mum collapsed at dinner.

Dad was going to take her up a dish but she said sheíd come down because she wanted to get out of her room for a bit. She came down and ate like three bites before she started feeling sick again. So she stood up to go to the bathroom and justÖ

Fainted I think. She just kind of laid there on the floor for about a second and we all rushed around to her and then she opened her eyes. Dad told me to call 999 and he told her to stay still where she was.

I just kind of freaked. I froze up. I was flapping my arms like a moron and crying.

I just heard Gill come in. Got to go.

Offline Rabbit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Thursday 15th January 1981
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 09:16:37 PM »
Thursday 15th Jan - 2am

Just got home. Mumís okay, I think.

I sat with Gill in a waiting room for ages before Dad came to find us. He said doctors thought it might be just a faint, because of tired sheís been and poorly and she hasnít eaten much. They used a special medical word for it - syncope. But theyíll do some tests just to be safe and in the meantime, she can come home with us.

So sheís back in bed at home. When I passed by on the way to the bathroom just now, I could see Dad sitting up in bed reading. I donít think heíll sleep tonight. I donít think I will. Dadís already said heíll call school for me tomorrow if Iím too tired to go.

I think that would be best. I feel all sick inside worrying about Mum and the last thing I want is to deal with Lucy and Ellie too.

I can hear Gill crying in her room. This is horrible.

Offline Rabbit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Thursday 15th January 1981 (continued)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »
Thursday 15th - continued

I didnít go to school today. Dad called them and explained. He called the hospital too to find out if their tests showed anything. They told him they wanted mum to go back for more tests and theyíve arranged for her to see a specialist on Monday morning. In the meantime, we shouldnít worry and we should look after Mum. They gave us a number to call if we were a bit worried or had any questions and if weíre really worried or Mum faints again, we should call an ambulance.

Dad says Iím going back to school tomorrow because thereís no sense worrying ourselves until we know whatís really happening. I donít mind. I feel a bit better because it all seems under control now. Whatever it is thatís wrong, theyíll be able to find it now and sheíll get better.

Mum even seems a bit better today. The doctor gave her something stronger for the pain and something else to help her not feel nauseous so sheís actually been able to eat a bit more and she was sat up in bed drinking tea and listening to the radio earlier.

Dad had the day off work and he brought the TV up to their bedroom and the three of us sat on the bed eating crisps. Dad got some tapes from the video shop. We watched Mary Poppins and I made them laugh by copying Dick van Dykeís penguin dance. Itís like a tap dance. I wonder if weíll do stuff like that when we start tap dancing after the Spring Festival?

Gill came home from work early and brought fish and chips which we all ate in Mum and Dadís room watching Blues Brothers. It was nice. I cuddled up to Mum like we used to when I was little. I felt safe tucked up in her arms, like nothing bad could touch me.

I think sheíll be okay.

Offline Rabbit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Friday 16th January 1981
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 09:14:06 PM »
Friday 16th

Mum died.

[desc=Bet none of you saw THAT one coming *sweats nervously*].[/desc][desc=Also, I'm sorry if this ruined the tone for anybody].[/desc][desc=I actually made myself cry a little with this one  :'(].[/desc]

Offline Rabbit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Monday 2nd February 1981
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 09:15:19 PM »
Monday 2nd Feb

This isnít my world.

It isnít real. Iíve fallen into some sick dimension where everything is wrong and horrible. I never thought anything could feel this bad and hurt so much. I just want it to stop. I want to go back.

I love you so much Mum.

Later

I looked back at my journal entries since the New Year and I just want to tear them out. How could I have been so self-absorbed and childish. Why was I so obsessed with dancing and stupid ouija games and who cares what Lucy Oldfield has to say? I should have been thinking about Mum. I should have seen something was wrong.

Oh my god. Mum told me not to say anything to Dad about what happened with the casserole dish and I didnít. But if I had told him, he might have taken her to the doctor sooner and maybe -

It is my fault. Sheís dead and itís my fault. I could have stopped it.

Offline Phoenix

• Regular commenters
  • Underling
  • A sullen war holds the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
    • My arty website
Re: The Diary of Emilia Anne Burrett
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »
Finally caught up with this Rabbit!  :panic2:
Sorry it's taken so long~

I was definitely getting into this, the entries really flew well from one to the other and it was really well written.
There was one area that feels like you left a word out, but now I can't seem to find where it was.
This made me laugh though;

School sucks. Lucy Oldfield is a massive bitch. I hoped maybe sheíd choke on a brussell sprout or something over Christmas but sadly not.

Also, I had to backtrack a little when I read this part;

And Ellie Denby is dead. I never want to speak to her ever again, never want to look at at that stupid spineless backstabbing traitor again in my entire life. She is dead to me.

The first sentence stunned me a little, took me a little while to realise that she wasn't being serious, but using it as a metaphor to explain how upset Ellie was with her.

A really good read here though Rabbit!
I have to ask though, do you ever find out the cause of her mum's death? it sounds a lot like brain cancer, although with a few changes...
I had to read up a lot of symptoms, treatments and medical information when I wrote my story 'Degree of the Human Heart', as the main character has it. So I wanted his story to be as accurate as I could get it.
Obviously I could be wrong, so just ignore me if I am.  :read1:

Offline Rabbit

• Peasant
    • View Profile
The Final Entry
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 04:31:44 PM »
3am

Iím stuck in this cycle of sitting in bed staring at the walls thinking about her or sleeping, but sleeping is worse because I donít dream. I just disappear into a black hole. Iíve slept so long without dreaming. Itís creepy. It feels like Iím the one whoís dead.

I miss her so much. The house is too quiet without her. Everybodyís sitting in separate rooms not doing anything. Aunt Sue and Uncle Rod come over sometimes, or Grandma and Grandad but at night they go home and itís just the three of us. Thereís no TV on downstairs. Mum isnít singing in the kitchen. Dad isnít making his awful jokes. Even Gill is quiet.

Iíve decided to write it down here, what happened. I wasnít going to because I didnít want to think about it and it would always be there in writing on the page. Like writing it down would make it more real and then sheíd really be gone. But there is no escaping it. We had the funeral last Friday. She isnít coming back.

Iím going to write it all on a different sheet of paper and fold it up and tuck it into the journal. That way, itís there but I donít have to see it if I donít want to.

Friday 16th January

She was

I never thought

I should have

Dad wouldnít tell me what happened. Or maybe he couldnít. He hasnít been the same since it happened but it was Uncle Rod who took me and Gill aside and explained to us everything the doctors had told them.

They did a post mortem on her. I still canít get that out of my head. Mum lying on a table somewhere being cut and examined and measured, like a lab rat or an experiment. Part of me knows why they had to do it but part of me is howling with anger. How could they butcher her like that?

Uncle Rod says the post mortem found a growth in her brain, a tumour. They were still testing it to find out exactly what it was but they thought it probably was causing all her symptoms - the headaches, the nausea, the fainting. They would have found it when she went in for more testing and started treating it. It might have been a benign tumour and she would have been fine when they took it out, or it might have been a cancer which would have been worse and she might have died anyway.

What they think happened was that she had another syncope or maybe even a seizure but that wasnít why she died. She probably would have survived that. Probably. But she was in the bath when she had it.

Mum drowned in the bath.

It looks so small written there like that. Iíve just spent five minutes staring at it and now it doesnít make sense. Like those words together are just nonsense now.

She had a seizure in the bath. So she drowned.

I was back at school and I stayed to talk to Mr Harris about the work I missed that week. Gill was out doing the afternoon shift at the restaurant. Dad stayed home in the morning but there was a meeting in the afternoon that he couldnít miss. So she was on her own.

Itís my fault. I should have been there. I should have come straight from school. I could have saved her.

Itís all my fault.

And that is the last entry Emmie made in her diary.  :'(

But obviously not the last you'll hear of her. I have a lot more in store for Miss Emmie Burrett which you can read about in the main story thread.

Offline Phoenix

• Regular commenters
  • Underling
  • A sullen war holds the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
    • My arty website
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 10:37:47 PM »
 :panic2: A Completed story! (Short but still complete!) Looks like I was write noticing the symptoms, the information and detail really shows through your entries so really well done. A very good read here Rabbit!

(Although very sad  :'(.)

Offline Elsza

• Peon
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 11:19:28 PM »
You've really captured the voice of a teenage girl here. I also really like the way the first bit of the Ouija board message subtly foreshadows the mothers death. I assume the rest will come to fruition in the ongoing story?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk